Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Presentation

Should I be labeled by my color, or answer to what you call me?
Should I just ignore your title of my race, politically correct or not?
Should I feel less than because I am Black, Colored, Negro?
What my ancestors didn't really have a choice in what they would answer to, but now, I have the opportunity to choose who I am.
I will no longer be a second-class citizen, judged first by my appearance, the mocha skin that you see, the wide nose, and thick lips that are so characteristic of my people.
I will no longer let you ignore my intellect, criticize my character, omit my opinions, or turn a deaf ear to my truths.
You want me to lose myself.
You want me to get lost in the me that you want me to be.
So should I be who you me to be, or should I just do me?

No comments:

Post a Comment